Chunky Vegetable Dip
- 2 ripe avocadoes, chopped into coarse chunks
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped into coarse chunks
- ½ red onion, chopped into coarse chunks
- 1 red birds-eye chilli, seeded and chopped into fine pieces
- 1 tbsp. of lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- pita chips
Toss the avocadoes, tomatoes, onion, chilli, and lime juice in a serving bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with crispy pita chips.
Wholemeal Pancakes with Banana
Ingredients (for 12 pancakes):
- 2 large bananas
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Olive oil or other cooking spray
- Honey and reduced-fat passionfruit yoghurt
Take 1 banana and mash well in a bowl. Add flour, buttermilk, eggs, and honey and whisk well, until smooth. Allow the mixture to stand for 10 minutes.
Spray a non-stick frying pan with a thin layer of oil and turn on the heat to medium. Pour ¼ cup of the batter into the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubble appear on the raw side. Turn the pancake and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on the other side or until cooked. Repeat until mixture is used up.
Slice the remaining banana and top the pancakes with banana slices, honey, and yoghurt.
Sweet Potato Chips
- 450g small orange sweet potatoes
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- Chicken salt, to taste
Peel and slice the sweet potatoes (lengthways) into thin slices. Heat vegetable oil to 180°C in a deep frying pan.
When the oil is ready, add one quarter of the sweet potato slices and cook for 1 minute or until crispy. Remove from oil and allow to drain on paper towels. Repeat until all the sweet potato slices are cooked, then season with chicken salt to taste.
White Bean Pate
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 440g can cannellini or butter beans, drained
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
Heat oil in a non-stick frying pain and fry onion and garlic until the onion is soft. Remove the mixture from heat. Place all remaining ingredients and the onion-garlic mixture in a food processor.
Blend the mixture until smooth or to the desired consistency. Allow the mixture to cool in the fridge before serving. Serve with crudités, pita chips, or toast.