It's cake season
Looking for a Christmas with more carolling and less calorie-ing?
You’ve come to the right place. Through vigorous research and extensive taste-testing (anything for our readers), we’ve discovered that there are such things as healthy Christmas cakes, and they’re delicious!
Our recipe is a dried fruit puzzle, taking the best of our favourite dried fruit flavours and garnishes to make the perfect Christmas cake.
650g of chopped dried fruits (we used golden raisins, cranberries and apricots)
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
¼ cup steel cut oats
Juice from one orange
120g olive oil
- Preheat oven to 150C
- Combine chopped dried fruits, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon into a mixing bowl
- Add to the mixing bowl and blend eggs and steel cut oats
- Pour egg mix, orange juice and olive oil into the mixing bowl
- Mix the ingredients in the bowl (until thoroughly combined)
- Line a baking/cake tin, or muffin tray (whatever gets you in the Christmas spirit)
- Place in oven for 1.5 hours, or until completely cooked through
And there you have it – a Christmas cake with all natural ingredients, no processed sugar and no flour.
Want to make it a little more fancy?
Nuts! Go nuts with your nuts - we suggest walnuts or pecans for the extra punch of powerful (and healthy) omega-3 fats.