Did you know us Aussies eat 3.5kg of these green fruits per person a year? Check out one of tried and tested avocado recipes below.
6 servings | 10 serves of veg | 25m preparation | 20m cooking
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 small red capsicums, diced (put 1/3 aside for salsa)
- 400g can no-added-salt corn kernels, drained
- 2 spring onions, (including green tops),chopped
- ½ cup chopped basil
- 1 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese (80g)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup self-raising flour
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- olive or canola oil spray Salsa
- 2 avocadoes, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- Squeeze zucchini of excess liquid and place in a large bowl with 2/3 of the capsicum and the corn, spring onions, basil and cheese. Season with pepper.
- Sift flour over vegetables then mix to combine.
- Pour milk into a jug, add eggs and whisk together with a fork. Add to vegetables and stir well.
- Heat a large non-stick frypan over medium heat and spray liberally with oil. Drop heaped tablespoons of mixture evenly spread around the pan and spread using the back of a spoon to 8cm diameter. Cook for 2 minutes or firm and golden. Flip and brown on reverse side for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, keep warm and repeat with remaining mixture.
- To make salsa, combine remaining capsicum with avocado, tomato, basil and lime in a medium-sized bowl.
- Divide salsa between plates and serve with a stack of 3 fritters each.