At CBHS we help you manage your health challenges. We believe in offering you the services, support and tools you need to live your best life.
Our Better Living Programs are available to support eligible members towards a healthier lifestyle. Each Better Living Program is subject to its own eligibility criteria.
Contact us for more information and to confirm your eligibility for a program.
Loaded mince tacos
Calories: 675 | protein: 19g | carbs: 37g | fibre: 12g | total fat: 19g | sat fat: 5g | serves 4
*Approximate nutritional information calculated from Easy Diet Diary.
Healthy food that feels indulgent
These loaded mince tacos are a feast for your eyes and for your taste buds. They feel indulgent but they’re low in calories, and they’re healthy and full of nutrition.
The Australian guide to healthy eating recommends you eat at least five serves of vegetables and legumes or beans a day. By eating these loaded mince tacos, you could be well on your way to meeting those guidelines, especially if you serve them with salad and guacamole, made with nutrient-rich avocado.
This meal makes for a relatively easy healthy dinner, while adding a salad means you can toss in any vegetables that might be lurking in your fridge waiting to be used.
Tuck into these tasty tacos as part of a healthy diet.
- 500g lean mince or 200g textured vegetable protein (TVP) soaked
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- garlic to taste
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp or small tub tomato paste
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 can of mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 large carrot, grated
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium zucchini, grated
- 4 handfuls of spinach.
- 1 sachet of taco spice mix.
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 1 tbsp smokey paprika
- salt + pepper to taste
- chilli flakes to taste
- more spices to taste.
- Fry onion and garlic in oil in a large pan
- Add mince and fry until brown
- Add carrot, mushroom and zucchini, 1 tbsp tomato paste and spices
- Add 1/2 can chopped tomatoes and cook down until taste changes (5-10 mins)
- Add remaining chopped tomato, then mix in flour and add mixed beans, spinach, extra spice mix to taste
- Spoon mixture into taco shells and top with 1 tbsp guacamole and 1 cup of salad.
- 2 taco shells per person
- GUACAMOLE: Mash 1 avocado with juice of 1 lime, salt + pepper
- SALAD: tomato, cucumber, lettuce, coriander, salsa.
Why it’s good for you
- high protein
- high fibre
- freezes well
- feels indulgent.
All information contained in this article is intended for general information purposes only. The information provided should not be relied upon as medical advice and does not supersede or replace a consultation with a suitably qualified healthcare professional.
Health and wellbeing
programs & support
You Belong to More with CBHS Hospital cover:
- Greater choice over your health options including who treats you
- Get care at home with Hospital Substitute Treatment program
- Free health and wellbeing programs to support your health challenges
Live your healthiest, happiest life with CBHS Extras cover:
- Benefits for proactive health checks e.g. bone density tests, eye screenings
- Keep up your care with telehealth and digital options
- Save on dental and optical with CBHS Choice Network providers