Member-owned, not-for-profitWe're proud to be a not-for-profit health fund, driven by the needs of our members to deliver the best possible health insurance.
The requirement to notify you during tax time has changed
From this year onwards, your tax statement will no longer be available to download via the Member Centre inbox, and we’ll only mail or email a copy to you if you request one after 14 July 2020.
We’ve done the work for you
We’re required to send the details of your private health insurance policy directly to the Australian Taxation Office, so when you lodge your tax return online or through your accountant, your private health insurance information will be auto-populated for you. If you still lodge a paper tax return or if your details aren't populating correctly online, please get in touch with our Member Care team on 1300 654 123 and we’ll send your tax statement to you. For more information, you can visit the ATO website or take a look at our quick guide on how to read your tax statement.
We answer the most common questions people ask about health insurance at tax time.
Your tax statement shows:
- Your share (for taxation purposes) of the total health insurance premiums you paid to CBHS between 1 July 2019 and 30 June 2020 that are eligible for the Australian Government Rebate on Private Health Insurance
- The amount (if any) of Australian Government Rebate you received; and
- The number of days you held an appropriate level of private patient hospital cover (if this is less than 365, you may need to pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge).
- The ATO will receive the information on two tax statements, one for each membership.
- The figures on your tax statement cover health insurance premiums we received during the financial year. For further assistance, please contact our Member Care team on 1300 654 123.
- Please note that all payments made up to midnight on 30 June 2020 will be included on this year’s tax statement.
- Your tax statement will no longer be available to download via the Member Centre inbox, and we’ll only mail or email you a copy if you request one. When you go to lodge your tax return online or through an accountant, your private health insurance information will be auto populated for you.
- Our health fund ID is 'CBH'.
- The Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS) is levied on payers of Australian tax who do not have private hospital cover and who earn above a certain income. The surcharge aims to encourage individuals to take out private hospital cover, and where possible, to use the private system to reduce the demand on the public Medicare system. For details regarding the Medicare Levy Surcharge, please visit the Australian Tax Office Medicare Levy Surcharge website.
- Yes. Log into our Member Centre via the website and select the ‘Payment’ tab to manage payments. You must make the payment before midnight 30 June 2020. Alternatively, contact our Member Care team on 1300 654 123 during our operating hours (Monday – Friday from 7am to 7pm AEST).
- You will be able to view your Private Health Information Statement via the Member Centre inbox from 14 July 2020 onwards. After this date, your PHIS will be made available during the premium rate review process every year.