At CBHS we help you manage your health challenges. We believe in offering you the services, support and tools you need to live your best life.
Our Better Living Programs are available to support eligible members towards a healthier lifestyle. Each Better Living Program is subject to its own eligibility criteria.
Contact us for more information and to confirm your eligibility for a program.
CBHS is helping young Australians stay covered
To help young Australians maintain private health cover, the Australian Government has passed legislation allowing adult dependants to stay on their parents’ health cover for longer. Previously, dependants could stay on a Family or Sole Parent policy until they turned 25. From 1 April 2023, they’re able to remain covered under an existing Family or Sole Parent policy until their 31st birthday.
This is a voluntary change for health funds to implement, and CBHS is pleased to be able to make this option available to our members.
Why age 31?
The age of 31 is particularly important because this is when Australians need to start paying Lifetime Health Cover (LHC) loading if they have never had or have not maintained Hospital cover. LHC loading is a 2% surcharge for each year that someone hasn’t held Hospital cover after they’ve turned 31. By continuing on their parent’s or parents’ policy until age 30 and then taking out their own Hospital cover by their 31st birthday, a young person can avoid having to pay LHC loading. This helps keep health cover affordable, and hopefully encourages more Australians to stay covered.
Great news in a time of rising cost of living
We’re already seeing that young people are staying at home longer these days, due in part to the escalating cost of housing. Amidst a backdrop of cost-of-living pressures, being able to stay on their family’s cover longer allows young people precious extra years to focus on building their financial security. Whether that’s growing a house deposit, saving for their first car, or maybe funding their studies.
Being able to ‘keep the kids covered’ longer will be an attractive option for families wanting that continued peace of mind.
If it’s time for them to get their own cover
Each family is unique, and of course, not everyone will choose to keep their dependants on their family cover. The benefit of a young person taking out their own Hospital policy between the ages of 18-29 is that they’re eligible for an age-based discount. This is another optional benefit that health funds can provide, and CBHS provides age-based discounts of up to 10%. This discount is locked in until the member turns 41, as long as they maintain Hospital cover.
Why is it important for young people to stay covered?
There’s great value in private health insurance for young people, especially at a time where the public health system is under considerable pressure. Private Healthcare Australia reports young Australians find value in health cover for the following reasons:
- Mental health – around 1 in 5 hospital claims for under 30s are for mental healthcare1, plus claims exceeding $10,000 for mental health treatment among Australians under 30 have increased dramatically since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic2.
- Dental care – Extras cover takes the sting out of visiting the dentist, which encourages young people to go more regularly or get seen sooner.
- Sports injuries – avoid elective surgery waits, choose the surgeon of your choice, and get access to more affordable physio coverage.
Who is eligible to stay on their family cover?
You can read more about who we consider as a student dependant and a non-student dependant on our dependant cover page.
To chat to one of our team about the options to keep your family covered, give us a call on 1300 654 123 (Mon-Fri 8am-7pm AET).
Health and wellbeing
programs & support
You Belong to More with CBHS Hospital cover:
- Greater choice over your health options including who treats you
- Get care at home with Hospital Substitute Treatment program
- Free health and wellbeing programs to support your health challenges
Live your healthiest, happiest life with CBHS Extras cover:
- Benefits for proactive health checks e.g. bone density tests, eye screenings
- Keep up your care with telehealth and digital options
- Save on dental and optical with CBHS Choice Network providers